You can use a Russian keyboard with your PC or use your usual keyboard and learn the location of every Russian letter. In both cases, you will need to set the keyboard language to Russian. See the installation instructions at the end of the page.
Getting Started with Russian will teach you the Russian keyboard layout.
You will start from the common letters in the middle of the keyboard. For example, in order to type мама (mother) or папа (father) you will need only your left index finger.
Next you will proceed to other easily accessible, common letters and learn three example words for every letter. When you have learned those, WordDive will automatically proceed to the remaining letters.
In addition to writing the letters, you will learn to pronounce them and know their Russian names. The latter are important when you have to spell out names and addresses.
Install Russian keyboard support
- Go to Control Panel – Region and Language – Keyboards and Languages
- Click Change keyboards... ->Text Services and Input Languages dialog opens.
- Click Add...
- Tick Russian (Russia) / Keyboard / Russian
- Click OK to close every dialog
- Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Settings.
(If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, and then click Settings.)
- Choose Control Panel / Clock, Language and Region / Add a Language.
- Choose again "Add a language".
- Select Russian and click Add.
- You can now close the settings window.
- To switch the input language, move your mouse to the bottom left corner of the screen and click on the gear icon. Click on the language icon and then click on рус (Russian).
- Select the Start button, then Settings > Time & language > Region & language.
- Select Add a language.
- Choose the language you want to use from the list, and then select Next.
- Review any language features you want to set or install, and select Install.
- Note: To switch the input language you're using in Windows 10, select the language abbreviation on the far right of the taskbar, and then select the language or input method you want to use. You can also press and hold the Windows logo key and then repeatedly press the Spacebar to cycle through all your languages.
Mac OS X:
- Go to System Preferences – Keyboard – Input Sources
- Click "+"
- Search for Russian
- Select "Russian"
- Close the window
- Select the Russian flag from the top right corner of the screen to start typing in Russian