Watch a video on installing Japanese support in the Windows XP operating system. Installation in other versions of Windows is very similar. Below are the instructions in text.
1. Go to Control Panel through Start Menu.
2. Go to Date, Time, Language, and Regional Options by clicking the link shown in the image below.
3. Click the Regional and Language Options link.
4. Select the Languages tab.
5. If East Asian languages are not installed in your computer, move to 5.1. If East Asian languages are installed, continue by clicking the Details button and move to point 6 of these instructions.
5.1. If East Asian languages are not installed in your computer, do it by selecting the box at the bottom of the following image. Note that you need to be logged in with Administrator rights to install languages.
5.2. After selecting the box, click the OK button at the bottom of the window.
5.3. Windows will ask you to insert a Windows XP installation disc into your CD drive. Insert the disc and click OK.
5.4. Windows will install the necessary files from the CD and ask you to restart the computer. Restart by clicking the Yes button and move to point 6 by following these instructions.
6. Prepare to add a new keyboard language by clicking Add.
7. Select Japanese from the upper list and make sure that Keyboard layout is set as Microsoft IME Standard.
8. Close the windows by clicking the OK buttons.